Did you know that 26% of personal trainers make over 6 figures a year?
According to Bedros’ Keuilians annual survey of 100,000 personal trainers, 26% make over 6 figures a year.
Do you what separates those 26% from the 74%?
A marketing and advertising strategy.
They know the importance of this strategy.
Without a strategy, you’ll be lost… and, you will join the club of the 74% of trainers who aren’t hitting 6 figures a year.
The Problem: Personal trainers have no advertising strategy in place.
The Solution: Make one. This article will help you step out of the majority of trainers into the highly successful, minority.
By the end of this post, you’ll have 11 Essential Personal Trainer Ad strategies in place that will help to skyrocket your income into 6 figures and potentially, more.
First, let’s define what an advertisement actually is…
Granted, they’re a lot of different types of personal trainer ads.
Today, we are going to be using the fundamentals to define what and an advertisement is:
An advertisement is simply an activity or promotion used to sell services or products.
David Ogilvy defines an advertisement as simply a more efficient way to sell.
In general, the most effective ads contain a headline, images or video, copy, and a call to action at the end.
Let’s break down each element of an ad.
The most important part of any ad, the headline gets read 5 times more, on average, than any other part of the ad.
Without a good headline, an ad won’t get read… it’s that simple.
To summarize a good headline follows the four U’s:
● Your headline should be unique – Should be different to your competition. Out of the box thinking is required.
● Your headline should be ultra-specific – People should have an idea on exactly what they are about to click on/read more about. The headline should be ultra specific to your business.
● Your headline should provide a sense of urgency – Use time frames, limited amounts of places and create the idea of scarcity in your advertisements.
● Your headline should be useful – If people can learn something or find value, within your headline, they will be instantly intrigued to learn more.
Image or Video
They say a picture is worth a thousand words right? Since we’re visual creatures our brain can process an image a lot faster than words on a page. Since fitness is so visual, a compelling image or video can make your ad a lot more powerful.
They’re a lot of great images that can be used, but the best types are usually high-quality images of a group of women/men, training in your gym. Test different images to see what works best.
The copy of an ad is the words that are used to sell. The best type of copy is clear and concise and tells a compelling story that highlights the benefits of your product or service. I’ve written about it before:
- Fitness Copywriting Secrets You Wish You Knew A Year Ago
- 5 Ways to Power Up Your Fitness Copywriting
Now that we know the fundamentals of an ad and the understand the importance, we can come up with strategies to help power your training business.
Why Should I have a Strategy?
I should not have to tell you this right? Having a strategy is what separates the pros from the amateurs. It’s what keeps your training business afloat amid the problems that you’ll encounter. Great strategy consists of having a vision and planning and executing your objectives.
So, without further delay, here is…
11 Powerful Personal Trainer Ads Strategies that Will Take your Business to an Extraordinary Level
I know I keep repeating myself and lot of marketers say the same things…
But it’s true.
Any type of advertising always begins with research.
Once you know and understand what types of services your audience wants and why, you can put the right steps in place to ensure the maximum amount of sales as possible.
As a personal trainer, you have to determine who your ideal audience is.
What’s an ideal audience?
An ideal audience is the people that you love to train.
The people who you love to work with.
An ideal client.
A personal trainer that is doing well has clients that they love to work with.
A trainer that isn’t doing as well has clients that are irritating and who don’t follow directions… you should know both types already.
Of course, the reason for why this happens is because a personal trainer who is doing well has the choice of the clients that they work with.
The personal trainer who isn’t, is stuck with the awkward clients and they’re not really in the position to say no!
This difference is what can make personal training either a career you enjoy or just another job.
How can I find my ideal audience?
By asking questions.
You’re going to be asking yourself and clients questions that can help guide you along the correct path.
This two-part exercise will be the foundation of your strategy:
Firstly – Here are some questions you can ask yourself:
- Who do I like working with the most?
- What type of fitness problem am I trying to solve?
- What type of training do I enjoy the most?
- Do I like working 1 on 1 or teaching boot camps
- Do I like working with men or women?
Secondly – Now here are some questions you can ask your clients:
- What type of careers do they have?
- What are they’re personalities like?
- What are they’re fitness goals?
Once you’ve come up with all of the answers to these questions, you can start advertising and marketing your personal training business.
You now understand who your ideal audience is… and when you connect the dots, how to market to them.
Most personal trainers know that they need a website… unfortunately the vast majority don’t understand what separates a good website from a bad one.
They spend thousands of dollars on a design that looks nice… but, never generates sales.
But what makes a good website?
A good website will do the following:
- Generate leads for you
- Show your expertise
- Incorporates direct marketing methods
- Results and Before/After images (Client Transformation Images)
- Include a call to action on every page
You can just download a premium theme from WordPress that and use a cheap host to get started.
Here are some great themes I recommend:
For hosting options, you can start using cheap shared hosting platforms like Bluehost and Hostgator that are easy to set up.
I’ve used Bluehost in the past and I’ve had good experiences with them.
Here’s a good video from Pat Flynn on how to set up your Bluehost account:
3. Lead Magnet
In order to grow your email list you should use a lead magnet.
Email marketing is the best type of online marketing out there.
But how do you grow an email list?
A great way to grow a successful email list is to use an effective lead magnet.
What is a lead magnet?
A lead magnet is simply a free gift that you give to your readers in exchange for their email address.
In order to create an irresistible lead magnet that your readers will love, you have to know your audience.
Some examples of Lead Magnets include:
- Workout videos
- Grocery shopping lists
- Nutritional guides
A simple pdf or short video will suffice in most cases.
Bonus Tip 1: Use a strong call to action to promote your Lead Magnet and make sure the headline of the CTA inspires your readers to take action.
Bonus Tip 2: Remember to keep the lead magnet directly related to your business. Ask yourself and current clients, would you / they happily pay at least a small amount of money for what you’re giving away. If you / they wouldn’t, you need to make it better.
4. Facebook Ads and Business Facebook Page
The most powerful way to create advertising and reach new audiences is to use Facebook Ads.
One of the reasons for this is simply the sheer size of the platform.
Facebook Ads are a huge topic and, although I won’t be able to cover everything here, if you want to learn more check out the previous posts I’ve written on Facebook Ads:
- The Most Powerful Marketing System for Personal Trainers
- Case Study: How to Generate over 100 Qualified Leads for your Bootcamp
- 3 Facebook Retargeting Lessons You Can Learn Today
Facebook also has a local business page section that you can use to create a local Facebook business page.
The instructions on claiming and managing your Facebook page are here.
It’s important to completely fill out all your business information and that it accurately reflects your business.
5. Google Business
Google Business and Yelp have replaced the Yellow Pages as the go to directories for local businesses.
A lot of local consumers search for your business on Google to see reviews, locations, and hours of the business is open.
59% of consumers use Google every month to locate a business.
These statistics are very powerful. So powerful that they should be more than enough motivation for you to act, fast.
A lot of times, the information in your Google Business listing is not accurate. Others or Google can enter information about the business themselves.
In order to prevent this, it’s best to optimize and claim your Google Business page.
It’s a very easy process.
If done in the right way, a Google Business listing can have a huge positive impact on your business.
And its free… so, why not?
Here are a few steps you can take to optimize your listing on Google Business.
- Go to Google Business and create an account there
- If you have a gmail account use this or create a new gmail account
- Once you’ve created a gmail account you’ll have to verify your business. Instructions can found here
- You can now edit your listing. Make sure to completely fill out the following information:
– Business name
– Contact info
Yelp has become the #1 review site in the world with over 160 million searches a month.
Similar to Google Business, having an optimized Yelp listing is important in maintaining your brand.
A well managed Yelp listing can serve as free advertisement for your personal training or fitness business.
Here are a few steps you can take to optimize your business on Yelp:
- Claim your business on Yelp
- Verify your business. Yelp will call the number listed in your page and ask you to enter a verification code.
- Once you’ve verified your business it’s time to optimize your Yelp listing by completely filling out all the information. Make sure that the location, hours of operation, parking situation, pricing range and any other options are accurate. A good example is below:
4. It’s important to manage any negative reviews. Make sure to respond to every negative review and offer an explanation on why they didn’t have a positive experience. You can also pay Yelp to remove negative reviews.
Think about it… a few minutes could be the answer to new sales and leads for your business. You need to be easily findable. Act now.
7. Testimonials and Before/After Images
One of the most important aspects of any training business is your testimonials page.
Like it or not, your potential prospects will judge you based on your results.
If done in the right way, testimonials can be awesome advertising for your business.
Here are a few steps you can take to get awesome testimonials:
- It’s important that your prospects trust your testimonials. Make sure your testimonials are real. Unfortunately, fake testimonials are rampant and you don’t want to ruin your reputation. It only takes one person to find out and spread the message to potentially destroy your local businesses’ or even online businesses reputation.
- A good way to verify trust in testimonials is to use video testimonials. Even though video testimonials can also be faked, potential prospects will most likely trust a video rather than a written testimonial. It is a lot easier to fake a written testimonial than a video.
- Use the star, story, solution format for your testimonials. I’ve written about this format before. It’s a fantastic way to use storytelling for your advertising.
- Use before/after images with your testimonials to create a visual representation of your training results. A great example of a testimonial page is from Andy Morgan’s page results page
8. Ad in front of gym with text message
If your gym or fitness center is in a high foot traffic area, a great way to build your email list is to place a billboard type of ad in front of your gym.
When people see your billboard, they can text the code word which will then automatically add them to your email list… this is very powerful stuff.
Even if these people are not ready to buy from you yet, you can use email marketing to get them to know, like, and trust you.
As I’ve already mentioned, email marketing is the single most important asset to the online side of your personal training business.
9. Landing Page
A landing page is a fantastic way to advertise your personal training services.
Every business needs a good landing page that sells.
It’s easy to create landing pages with the software that’s available out there at the moment.
I’ve used Leadpages the last few years and have been really happy with their services.
Two templates that are specially designed for personal trainers are:
What’s even better is that you don’t have to join Leadpages to use these templates.
You can purchase these templates and have your web designer place them on your web page for you or, learn to do them yourself.
A lot of personal trainers are killing it on Instagram.
Due to its simplicity, Instagram is a great way to showcase your fitness business in a new and exciting way.
Young people love Instagram.
If you target mostly young people, then Instagram can be a great way to advertise.
Over 90% of users on Instagram are aged between 18 and 35.
Unlike other platforms, Instagram doesn’t allow you to use outbound links in your posts but they do allow a link on your profile page. Use it wisely.
Instagram also doesn’t allow automated scheduling but for in the moment updates, is a great social media platform to be on.
With recent updates with the social media scheduling platform, Hootsuite, there are ways to get around not being able to schedule multiple posts in one go.
Twitter can be a good place for a personal training business, when used wisely.
Twitter for business involves lots of people sharing news and business tips.
Changing the “rules” of Twitter to fit your personal training business is what is required for Twitter success.
Instead of sharing business articles, share articles that can help your clients like stretching routines, for example. Share fitness workout tips from your own knowledge.
Unfortunately, getting started with Twitter can feel like a slow process.
Securing that first 1000 followers can be the trickiest part.
Here are 4 ways to help you secure your first 1000 followers on Twitter
1 – Completely fill out your profile – Just like with any other social media platform, filling out your entire profile is a must. People should easily be able to find anything they want to about you, all from your profile.
2 – Cross-link your social media platforms / website – Twitter is often not the best way to market your products. Its a place of consistently providing interesting information that can help your clients.
3 – Link to your Twitter from your website / blog – If you are currently blogging, there are plugins that you can download that allow others to easily share your articles at the click of a button.
4 – Network – Networking with similar businesses and finding potential clients with hashtags is something that is made very simple for business. Try to follow and tweet 30 new local businesses in your area, each day. Try searching hashtags like #needatrainer, #needtoworkout or #gettingfat… hashtags along these lines are ideal to allow you to find clients that you can tweet to and engage with through direct messaging in time.
Now that you have the knowledge, it’s time to apply it. Save this article and work through each strategy one by one.
Take action today.
I’d love to hear how you get on!